Whether you have taken the time to purchase a beautiful piece of jewelry, inherited pieces from a loved one, or have the desire to know the current market value of your favorite items, we strongly recommend having an appraisal done.
An appraisal assigns a value to a specific piece of jewelry. The appraiser considers stones, metal, and current market value when appraising a piece of jewelry. There are many reasons to have your jewelry appraised. Appraisals will help with liquidation, insurance or collateral. An appraisal can also be used as proof of ownership if your item is ever stolen and recovered by the police.
Here are just a few things to consider when it’s time to have your items appraised:
- Your appraiser should be a Graduate from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). Verifying their certification with the organization will give you peace of mind. Also, ask the appraiser if they are engaging in continuing education to keep their skills current.
- Is your appraiser a Member of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers?
- Does your appraiser comply with the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice?
Process of an Appraisal at Jewelers Trade Shop:
- A full inspection, polish, and cleaning is done on every item. White gold pieces are given a complimentary rhodium plating.
- Detailed documentation of the item is provided including the following:
- Measurements of each stone
- Carat weight
- Color, Clarity and Cut of diamonds
- Hue, Tone and Saturation of gemstones
- Verification of metal
- Trademark documents
- Photo of each item
- Current market value of each item
If you have previous documentation, such as diamond certificates, we suggest bringing all of the information to the appraiser’s attention.
At Jewelers Trade Shop, we have four GIA Gradate Gemologists on site. We understand the importance and value of each piece of jewelry that comes through our door. Each piece of jewelry holds great meaning and tells a precious story. It is our pleasure to care for your pieces like our own.
Follow Us on Social Media!